Sunday 16 February 2020

Seal of Evil First Impressions

I'm 5 hours into Seal of Evil. The game doesn't explain any of its mechanics in-game so you have to read the help menu/manual and kind of figure it out as you go.

Essentially, everything from attack to defence to individual enemies comes down to being one of five elemental types: Metal, Wood, Earth, Water and Fire, with each element being stronger than the element after it and weaker than the element before it. Mixing and matching equipment and skills/spells helps you take on different enemies in each area.

I'll be honest, I was fumbling at the start; combat felt boring and slow initially and it was the artwork, music and wuxia setting that kept me going. Then I had to fight two giant spider bosses with two health bars each, who spawned smaller enemies in an enclosed, blocked space and found myself woefully unprepared.

I did a little bit of levelling and looked into the crafting screen, which is just labelled "Creation". By mixing and matching different items you find in each area or pick up from enemies, you can craft some excellent armour and weapons. I also started to get used to swapping between my party members, casting various buffs, summon spells and the like. An hour later I went back to the spider bosses and mopped the floor with them.

The voice acting is terrible, almost Chaos Wars bad and the translation isn't great either, but games in this setting, in English no less, are quite rare and I'm enjoying the change, especially now that I'm feeling the combat.

The music is really, really good.

No comments:

Post a Comment