Skip to main content

VideoGame Nation

So a week or so ago I went to a game exibition in the Urbis centre in Manchester called VideoGame Nation. It was pretty good, it saddened me that they were using LCD TVs for just about all of the old games but what can you do? NES Micro Machines was by far the most popular retro game there and I couldn't believe just how sharp and light the NES pads were. It felt nice holding one after some 15+ years though :)

Anyway they had some cool stuff like an Amstrad GX4000, design documents from Revolution Software for Broken Sword and some cool 8bit computer games like Jetpac. By far the coolest thing there though was a 1983 Star Wars arcade sitdown cab. I couldn't believe it, I wasn't sure if I'd ever be able to see one in the flesh and here it was! I had a go of course and it was very impressive, hard as well! It was a little beat up but being able to actually have a go on one really made my day. They also had a Galaxian and Space Invaders cab. Space Invaders would have been much more impressive had I not been able to pump a cocktail cab version full of 20p's a few years back ^^

Overall it wasn't too bad, kind of small but fun and there was a nice focus on British games and computers which was cool, people need to know their history!

I did take some pics but it was on my camera phone so...




















A NES hooked up to an LCD TV and stretched to widescreen... What the hell.


NES pads are so small, light and sharp. Playing on a real machine again sure brought back some nice memories though :)


Cursed reflections.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

GFWL and Resident Evil 5

I've been sorting through my old physical PC games and donating some that I won't play again and aren't worth anything. I assumed my old Games For Windows Live titles would not work, but they do! They absolutely do! GTA IV: Episodes from Liberty City, Fable III, Lost Planet 2...etc, they all work perfectly. They have some installation quirks. You do need the latest GFWL update and they can take an age to install, so long in fact it feels like the installer has crashed in the case of Lost Planet 2, but if you leave it be it will complete and then work just fine.  I also found out that I could still install the GFWL version of Resident Evil 5 on Steam and that also works. It no longer shows your serial key on Steam but I was able to use my Lost Planet 2 serial key on it instead. It seems some GFWL titles used a shared key database and aren't locked to a specific title. Red Faction: Guerrilla and Flatout Ultimate Carnage also still have their GFWL versions available on Ste...

3 Dead Consoles. Christ Almighty.

My NES, my DC and my PS3 are all dead. Yes, dead. I cannot fucking believe this. I mean the DC is forgiveable, it's 10 plus years old and been on its last legs for some time now. The NES only received its routine clean however and the PS3? The PS3 hardly gets bloody used! I've been playing Megadrive games on the fucking thing this month. This really sucks... :(